Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Troubled? Think on this.

This morning I began my scripture and mediation readings in the quiet of darkness. As I moved from one reading source to another I saw the sky shown in this picture peaking through the window shade. I had to stop.

After gazing at the beauty before me, I picked up my bible and opened to Sirach 43.
A note I wrote next to this passage at an earlier reading says: "I am filled with delight when I read this!"

Sirach 43:1-12

How beautiful is the bright, clear sky above us! What a glorius sight it is! The sun, when it appears, proclaims as it rises how marvelous a thing it is, made by the Most High. At noon it dries up the land; no one can stand its blazing heat. The setting sun sets fire to the hilltops, like a metal furnace glowing from the heat. It sends out fiery rays blinding the eyes with its brightness. The Lord, who made it, is great; it speeds on its way at His command.

There is also the moon, marking the passage of time, an eternal sign of the changing seasons. The moon determines the holy days. Its light grows full and then grows dim. The "month" is named after the moon, marvelous to watch as it grows fuller each night, a signal light for heavenly armies, shining out in the dome of the sky.

The shining stars make the night sky lovely, brilliant ornaments in the Lord's high heavens. They stay in the places assigned them by the Holy One and never relax their dutiful watch.

Look at the rainbow and praise its Creator! How magnificant, how radiant, its beauty! Like a bow bent by the hands of the Most High, it spans the horizon in a circle of glory.
Good News Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment