Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Is it enough?

Is it enough for me to know that Jesus saves me from my rebellion with God (Savior)?

This is a question posed to me last week and it has been hanging around. The best way for me to understand something that lingers is to write about it.

Here it goes.

Is it enough to just know this? And if I do know it what am I to do with it?

The answer for me is yes, it is enough for me to know this because this is the starting point for faith to grow and as my faith grows I will change. I will become less rebellious.

I see this lived out in the lives of the Saints. Many of them were extreme rebels. And in time they became great ambassadors for God. The story I know best that is found in the bible is about Saul who became Paul. Do you know this story?

Acts 9 Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples. He went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues in Damascus, so that if he found any there who belonged to the Way, whether men or women, he might take them as prisoners to Jerusalem. As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. He fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?”
“Who are you, Lord?” Saul asked.

“I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,” he replied. “Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”

Saul obeys Jesus and in time becomes one of the biggest advocates for Christ.

When I ponder the fact that the Creator of all and everything chose to become human to experience in the body of Jesus Christ horrific suffering and extremely painful death I am compelled to learn more so that I can change. I do not what to be the same as I am today tomorrow.

As we see demonstrated in Paul's story God meet us where we are.
Maybe it is in a difficult relationship, a challenging work environment, chronic pain, mental suffering, physical illness, life threatening disease, financial issues…..

When God is meeting me in these areas of where I am, what do I do? I have a choice to stay as the situation is or I can change. In my experience I did not make the changes on my own. I prayed and prayed and prayed. I changed my attitude, I surrendered all the I could not change with the willingness to change myself whenever needed. I walked the challenge with Jesus through continual conversation, prayer.

Is it enough to know that Jesus is our savior? Yes. Because this is where we start. We are the salvation story unfolding minute by minute, day by day.



No comments:

Post a Comment