Saturday, July 4, 2015

Tin pan





I walk our three dogs every morning.
I bring two grocery store plastic bags with me.
I use these bags to pick up after the dogs and to pick up garbage in the street.
My eyes are trained to spot garbage. My mind and heart is motivated to pick it up so it does not get into our waterways.

First step in the three dog walking process is to get them out of the door with untangled leases. Then we proceed down the front steps to the sidewalk. Bailee, the german shepherd, is the first to go.  Luna and Dash take a little longer. Dash, the maltese, likes to sprinkle a little bit here and there as we walk. We begin our stroll and I see, after passing two houses, a tin pan and plastic lid in the street.
I wonder how this is possible? Was someone eating a meal and tossed the pan with lid when done? I walked past it and picked it up on the way back. No sense carrying the thing for the whole walk. I was very confident it would still be there when I retuned because there was no wind to take it away and my past experience proved the case time after time.I have definitely 'cornered the market' in picking up street garbage.

The dogs and I had a very successful walk. All three did their thing and I captured their duty in the plastic bag.

On the way back the tin pan was there. As I picked it up I remembered a conversation I had with my husband a few days ago. I had just cleaned out the tin pan that captures the grill grease and asked him if he could pick up more tin pans. The one I cleaned is getting a bit worn and will be ineffective soon.

He was unable to find the tin pans in the size we needed and said he would look again in a few days.

Is it possible that our creator (for me, Jesus) was intimately involved in this whole story? So much so that the tin pan is made available in the time it is needed?

Could it be that Jesus knows me so well, he knew I would pick the tin pan up. And that I would have the idea of seeing if it fit the grill after I picked it up (or maybe the idea was given to me as a a part of the tin pan gift)? Abundant gifting!

My life and all the struggles I experience are lightened and even vanish when I live my life with this faith and trust in Jesus' promise;

+ Matthew 6:25-27
For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is life more than food and the body more than clothing?
Look at the birds of the air that do not sow, reap or gather the harvest and yet they are cared for by our heavenly father (creator). Are you not more than they? And who of you by worrying can add a single hour to you life?

We are cared for just as the birds. Resting and reflecting on this turns my worry into peace. +


No comments:

Post a Comment