Sunday, May 3, 2009

Are you present?

A friend and I have been commiserating about our stress from work. We decided to ask each other if we are present to the moment as we move through our week. I find when I stay present to the task at hand I am calmer and more productive which feels great. When I am not present I feel scattered and worry that I will not get the task done. This feels really crummy. Remaining present is also helpful for life's unexpected events. It enables me to go with the flow and reduce worry. I keep in mind that the unexpected event is what I am meant to experience. Anxious feelings about all the work I am not getting done are relieved with the thought that I am getting the current task done. The Byrd’s sang it beautifully To everything turn, turn, turn There is a season turn, turn, turn And a time to every purpose under heaven Another source for learning how to be present is by listening to my favorite Buddhist nun, Pema Chodron ~ True Happiness cds. She translates the Buddhist teachings into easy to understand teachings. Try to be present as you move through your day. Stress and worry will reduce over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment