Saturday, January 30, 2016

Do not be afraid

John 6:16-27
The sea became rough because a strong wind was blowing. When they had rowed about three or four miles, they saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they were terrified. But he said to them, "It is I; do not be afraid."

+++++++

Fear is a powerful emotion because it can weaken the strong, turn the active into the inactive, cause harm and confusion, create a sense of helplessness and so much more. If we let it.

If we let it is the key to the handling of fear. I have read that fear is an acronym for false evidence appearing real. The disciples in that boat saw Jesus walking on water. The evidence was clear. Yet they were terrified.

Their thoughts about Jesus walking on water created their fear.
The false evidence is how we allow our mind to interpret what we are experiencing to the point that that becomes our reality.

I had an experience of debilitating fear when I was diagnosed with cancer. I was so consumed with fear it was hard to breath at times. And I knew I had to get my fear under control or it could lead to further illness or maybe, by making wrong choices within my fear, my death.

There was no false evidence about my cancer. It was very real. My doctors and I plotted a course for treatment and a positive outcome.

My fear came from the thoughts I had about the treatment if it didn’t work. And what if cancer came back or who will take care of and support my family?

My thoughts caused the false evidence. My thoughts are projections of what I think I know. Not of what will actually happen because there is no way I know that. Only Jesus does and if I trust Jesus then my fear is unwarranted.
Jesus works all things for the good of those who love him, Romans 8:29.


Changing my thoughts to trust in Jesus’s provision replace my fear with hope and mystery in the unfolding plan.

Next month I celebrate my 5 year cancer diagnosis anniversary. This is a great milestone in fighting cancer. I am grateful to remain in the mystery of the unfolding plan. Thank you Jesus for your love and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment